TV Guide talked with Executive Producer Rob Wade about the new season of Dancing With The Stars. He has SIX teases for us. Let us know what you think in comments. Read on….
In addition to the weekly shows, there’s also a standalone 10th anniversary special in the works that will air as its own event sometime in May, according to Wade. But what can viewers expect from the 20th season? Extra behind-the-scenes rehearsal footage, for one thing, and possibly the return of results shows.
1. The return of results shows: Since switching to a single-night format in Season 17, Dancing has crammed its performances and eliminations into one two-hour block on Mondays. That will continue for the majority of Season 20, but Wade says it’s likely the Tuesday results show will be resurrected once the competition gets into the quarterfinals and semifinals, so that the audience can feel more of a sense of ownership over the results. “With the audience voting and the judges voting on the dance, and then seeing the result on the next night, I think you need the satisfaction of that influence,” Wade says. “So I’m hoping that we’ll get a couple results shows towards the end of the run.”
2. No guest judges: In addition to permanent judges Carrie Ann Inaba, Julianne Hough and Bruno Tonioli, Season 19 featured a rotating cast of fourth judges (including Kevin Hart and one of this season’s competitors, Redfoo) to fill in for Len Goodman, who was shuttling back and forth between the United States and England for Strictly Come Dancing. That won’t be the case this time around, according to Wade. “We’re not going to be doing guest judges this season, because we’ve got Len here the whole time,” Wade assures. (Goodman has said that Season 20 will be his last.)
3. Live-streamed rehearsals: If two hours a week of Dancing isn’t enough for you, this season, fans will get the opportunity to actually watch the pairs as they rehearse Tuesdays through Saturdays, via the show’s “All Access” page. It’s part of the show’s continued efforts to expand its digital footprint (see also: live Twitter polls during the episodes). “It just means you can check in with your favorite couples throughout the week,” Wade says. “We’re hoping to do three or four hours a day, every day throughout the season.” Check the weekly rehearsal schedule and stream here.
4. New theme nights: While Season 20 will see the return of many longstanding theme nights (Disney Night, Latin Night, America’s Choice), some new ones will also be thrown into the mix. “I think we want to do a Spring Break week,” Wade teases. “This is a spring season. This is really a countdown to the summer for people. I think subconsciously, viewers kind of realize that when we get to the final it’ll be a couple of days from Memorial Day and we’ll be back into summer.” Get your bathing suits ready!
5. More involvement from the judges: It’s Dancing with the Stars tradition for the judges to mentor the finalists, and Wade wants to take that a step further this season. Might we see the judges actually participating in some ofthe routines? “I wouldn’t rule anything out,” Wade says. “I’d love to try to involve them as much as we can in the storytelling of the show.”
6. Play at home! This season, Dancing will strive to educate viewers as well as entertain them. “This is, after all, a game,” Wade posits. “If you like, you can play at home.” To that end, producers and the judges will place more of an emphasis on what’s expected from a routine from a technical standpoint. “Actually informing people as to what the dances are and what they should look like and what the judges are looking for – all of those things are really important and we’re trying to push those in,” Wade explains.
To read the full article, see TV Guide.
Below is an archive of the Dancing With The Stars All Access Rehearsals for Season 20 from March 8 – 14, 2015. If you haven’t watched them yet, be sure to check them out.
Promo Poster In Times Square, Jammed Packed Media Starter On Eve Of Dancing With The Stars Season 20
One more day and counting until the premiere of Dancing With The Stars Season 20. Are you ready? It looks like Times Square in New York City is ready. Miss Heidi is currently in New York City to see Derek Hough in New York Spring Spectacular. She tweeted out the picture above yesterday morning. What a sight it must be and perfect promo for the show!
Speaking of Derek Hough in New York Spring Spectacular, you won’t want to miss reading and viewing all of our updates, photos, and reviews at Pure Derek Hough (and there is more coming today as we received two more blogs last night). Yesterday, Scarlett sent us six high resolution videos of Derek singing and more. They are off the hook. Here are just a few of them….
Also, Cidra found us a super detailed interview with Sharna Burgess and Noah Galloway at AL.com. Below is just a little take from the link of Noah talking about his new arm that he’s going to dance with. Sharna talks of how long it takes to become a “team”. Fascinating!
Q: Having a new arm sounds like it would be a significant adjustment, especially for intuitive movements when you’re dancing. Does it feel that way to you?
Galloway: It would make sense, because I’m not used to wearing one. But I’m not used to anything that’s going on on the dance floor. Tell me to juggle and it makes no difference, because all of it is new.
Q: Sharna, how long does it take to really become a team for “Dancing with the Stars”?
Burgess: It’s different for everybody. Sometimes it’s instantly, and you have that chemistry, and sometimes it’s a week. Sometimes it doesn’t happen. Sometimes the chemistry just doesn’t work, and we’ve seen that before.
I think in a very short space of time Noah and I have got to know each other. We make fun of each other all the time, and tease each other. We have a great trust there, as well, so we do have a great chemistry. We have a great relationship and friendship and partnership. It makes what happens in this (rehearsal) room a lot easier. I’ve treat him like a jungle gym. You’ve got to be able to trust each other to do that. And that’s amazing, because it’s only been, not even two weeks that we’ve been working with each other. This is just the beginning. That will only get stronger and stronger as the weeks go on.
Wow, and I’m not sure what happened in the rehearsal parking lot this weekend, but, it looks like things got pretty wild. 8O See the Daily Mail to see what I mean. “Happy Pie Day” indeed! I like seeing Tony with pie in his face. :D Got Pap and Getty Images have some rehearsal parking lot coverage too. Everyone is in fine form!! Read more..
USA Today has posted a cool promo with the couples of Dancing With The Stars. I think this footage is a little different than the one before? Too fun. *getting so excited!
I can’t believe it’s that time once again. :-) Time for figuring out who’s dancing what and being totally frustrated when they refuse to tell us WHEN. :-D
A few tidbits which, if you’ve been reading the comments on other posts, you may have already seen: Nastia and Rumer are looking really good. Noah was having some prosthetic problems – he had to have his leg re-programmed.
I’m off to NYC to see my boy Derek in “New York Spring Spectacular” so Vogue and Court will be updating this post as needed. Here’s something to get the weekend started.
ETA: A new song update and it’s a goodie. Look below! ~ Vogue
ETA2: WHA?? “Physical” for Tony and Suzanne?!! Oh, I love this song, do you? Something to keep in mind as you watch them in rehearsals tonight on DWTS All Access. ~Vogue and Court over and out and missing Miss Heidi already!
ETA3: Broadway World Via ABC posted a press release for the show next week including the songs for each couple which you can read and listen to below. ABC ruined our fun promoting the songs. *cries* Oh well.
ETA4: Voting numbers are listed below.
ETA5: A couple running-order updates. Kinda surprised they have Charlotte going first – they seem to start the show off with a strong routine, and from what I had heard, this…wasn’t, really. Maybe she’s improved since then. -Court-
Charlotte and Keo – Jive (“Shake a Tail Feather” by The Blues Brothers)
Redfoo and Emma – Cha Cha Cha (“Juicy Wiggle” by Redfoo)
Rumer and Val – Foxtrot (“Take Me To Church” by Hozier)
Patti and Artem – Foxtrot (“Lady Marmalade” by Patti LaBelle)
Willow and Mark – Cha Cha Cha (“Lips Are Movin'” by Megan Trainor)
Chris and Witney – Jive (“Footloose” by Kenny Loggins)
Michael and Peta – Cha Cha Cha (“Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson)
Noah and Sharna – Cha Cha Cha (“I Lived” by One Republic)
Robert and Kym – Cha Cha Cha (“Bills” by Lunch Money Lewis)
Riker and Allison – Jive (“What I Like About You” by The Romantics)
Suzanne and Tony – Cha Cha Cha (“Physical” by Olivia Newton-John”)
Nastia and Derek – Foxtrot (see PureDerekHough)
I was thinking of writing a before-the-season column. How to approach it, I thought? Of course we will have a season. It will be a grand celebration. This title came to mind. I hope you will enjoy my thoughts as the Ballroom will be:
SEASONED WITH CELEBRATION!
On March 16, 2015, the DANCING WITH THE STARS Ballroom will be SEASONED WITH. CELEBRATION! The Ballroom will be Shaking! Shaking, shimmering, shining in a 10th Anniversary, 20 Seasons Ballroom Shaker! The long-awaited, Epic 10th Anniversary will be shaken out with a flourish! Oh how we have waited in eager, unbridled anticipation! Our dancing appetites will be whetted once again!
The countdown of the final few days and hours sets our dancing hearts on fire! We want the premiere date to get here already! We count everything, the number of sleeps until then! The days! The hours! Our feet are ready to be a’tappin’ to the dancing beat! We are so ready to get out of our winter weary chairs and jump up and cheer! Oh how we wish THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT SHOW ON THE PLANET would get here already!
On February 24, 2015, the Cast was announced on GOOD MORNNG AMERICA! Sans one cast member who was formally announced on March 10, 2015, also on GOOD MORNING AMERICA! Ready to undertake grueling hours of rehearsal! Drum roll please, the 10th Anniversary, Season 20 Cast: Read more..
Since there were so many comments in the first Dancing With The Stars All Access Rehearsal post, we’ve decided to make another. You know what to do, and in case you don’t, go to this link at the official site of Dancing With The Stars to watch the teams in rehearsals LIVE. There is a schedule there too for which teams are rehearsing and when. We also posted the schedule below as well as …Read more