Last night was a scream in Central park in New York City. Derek and Julianne Hough had a “Lip Sync Battle” rematch. Below are some fun photos. Oh, and Derek won last night if you can’t tell. Hilarious. To see more, see Getty Images. For lots more coverage on the night including videos of their performances, see Pure Derek Hough.
Or any other statue for that matter? (NOTE: Nominations are announced July 16th at 11:30 eastern) We tend to focus on the choreo nominations – mainly because it’s the one we care most about and it’s also the most difficult. So, do you think any of the DWTS pros will be nominated for an Emmy this year? Don’t forget those like Travis Wall who came on and choreographed dances. If so, which dances will get a nomination? What dances do you WANT to see get a nomination? I think it will be a tough year to get a nomination, but if anyone from DWTS does it will likely be Derek or Mark or Sharna…or Travis. I have to review some videos to figure out my guesses. I’m not sure that anyone else had anything Emmy worthy. Here are the rules you need to know:
- The eligibility period is June 1, 2014 through May 31, 2015. HOWEVER, because of submission requirements, it’s very possible that the last few weeks of Season 20 may not be eligible. It’s hard to say. All entries must be submitted by May 4th, but you can modify your entry until May 31st. Meaning that if a choreographer has a better dance after May 4th, they can switch out one of the ones submitted on May 4th. There is also normally a DVD submission deadline that falls after May 4th and they probably have to make that. Usually, I believe the last two to three weeks of the spring season don’t get submitted because of the DVD deadline. It has to be shown on TV and a DVD of that airing submitted. Obviously, because the show is live, if it hasn’t aired, it also can’t be recorded to DVD and submitted.
- All that said…if Derek (for example) submitted three dances, he has until May 31st to substitute, so he could replace one dance with a later one if he liked it better – IF the DVD submission deadline is after the end of the season. We’re not sure.
- The great news is that the previous yes/no vote for a nomination is now a numerical score – I think this increases the possibility of a nomination.
- An individual achievement is typically only eligible for one nomination. That said, pros could be nominated alone AND as part of a team nomination – this is what happened a couple years ago when Derek was nominated solo and then with Allison Holker. BUT, if he has 10 great dances that he choreographed solo, he can only have ONE nomination and he has to narrow down his entry to three dances.
- Finally, based on all of the above, DWTS Season 19 and most (or all) of Season 20 are eligible and last summers SYTYCD is eligible.
I’m gonna start my speculation by stating straight up – it will be very difficult for someone from DWTS to get a nomination this year, including Derek. There just wasn’t that much that stood out and, unfortunately, the dances have to be WAY better than anything seen on SYTYCD in order to get a nomination. Why? Well, Courtney and I have discussed this many times and the fact is that most dancers (and, hence, people voting on nominations) are going to be contemporary or perhaps Jazz/Broadway dancers. Most can’t do Ballroom and don’t care about ballroom. I’ve heard that they think Ballroom has no depth of feeling and is too technical (B.S. – of course they say that because they can’t DO it well). So technical that it can be passion-less. Again, utter B.S. But that is the sad fact of it. And of course, most of the time, the pros on DWTS are dancing with amateurs, while the choreographers on SYTYCD are choreographing for professional dancers. Like it or not, execution does matter. Just look at some of the dances that were nominated the last two seasons. Read more..
Below is a new interview with Emma Slater and Val Chmerkovksiy about the Dancing With The Stars Live Tour. They also talked about Dancing With The Stars with the reporter.
Here is some press coverage about Rumer….
And I’m loving some of these instagrams of the cast in their down times…
Hey Everyone! If you’d like to watch the “Move Live On Tour” streamed LIVE from Albany, New York, you’ll be able to do so at “Yahoo Screen Live” at this link tonight at 8:00pm ET. If you can’t tune it, that’s ok as it will be streamed for 24 hours afterwards. The whole show is non-stop amazing. For all the latest on it, see Pure Derek Hough. Twitter pic below courtesy of Kelsie Smith.
Noah Galloway is planning to write a book about his experiences in Iraq and everything that happened to him. He also talks on life after Dancing With The Stars. Here is more from People. Be sure to read more at the link.
Galloway says his book will openly address “everything I’ve gone through – because there’s been some ups and downs,” including, among other things, how he dealt with major depression after an IED exploded during a tour of duty, nearly taking his life and forcing the amputation of his left arm below the elbow and left leg below the knee.
Yet his valleys have often been what pushed him to ultimately reach his peaks, such as taking third place on DWTS and proving that Americans with disabilities can do anything they set their mind to.
Nearly two months later, Galloway has kept in contact with costars Sharna Burgess and Chris Soules because “we all rehearsed together and hit it off really well.” Galloway says he recently caught up with Soules, joining him the former Bachelor star in his native Iowa to play in a golf tournament together.
Looking back, Galloway says he has fond memories of his time on DWTS – even trying moments like when he was “kicked in the face by Sharna [and] my tooth got knocked out.”
Below he also talks to Fox News. Thanks to Abby for this find.
Finally some HQ photos of the Dancing With The Stars Live Tour! Click on any of the photos to see more. It’s so good to see Peta Murgatroyd well and dancing again.
This is hilarious. Thanks to Lori for the find.
This is so cool. Dancing With The Stars Allison Holker and Derek Hough have made it to ‘wave 2″ for “Best Choice Dancer” in the “2015 Teen Choice Awards”. Stephen tWitch Boss, Les Twins, Chloe Lukasiaka, and Maddie Ziegler have also been nominated. To VOTE for your favorite, go to this link. Voting ends Friday, July 24 at 12PM PST! Note that the 2015 Teen Choice Awards will take place on FOX on August 16, 2015.
“There is not nor have there ever been any negotiations on this matter,” Jenner’s publicist told ET. “They inquired if she was interested in participating in the show and I said no thank you. That is the extent of the communication.”
Hope everyone has been enjoying their summer Thought I’d share this little ditty that fell into my lap entirely by accident yesterday, as I was making my morning cup o’ coffee in my office break room while half-listening to the janky tv in there that constantly cuts out and only seems to get random channels…
…Cheryl appeared on The Boris & Nicole Show yesterday, which premiered on Monday and is having a 4-week trial run on FOX. She chatted about her activewear line, her stint on I Can Do That, her backing out of judging Miss USA, and memories from DWTS. Full episode is below, and Cheryl’s segment starts around the 22:00 mark. What I found most interesting, though, was the revelation she dropped about her season 18 partner – turns out Drew Carey was a replacement for someone else:
“Let me tell you guys about Boris over here. He was supposed to be my partner, then he backed out – or chickened out – then, guess who my partner was. And I love him – DREW CAREY! Drew Carey is great, but I think [Boris] and I might have lasted a little longer!”
So yeah, Cheryl’s original season 18 partner was supposed to be Soul Food actor Boris Kodjoe, and Drew only entered the equation after Boris backed out. I loved Drew & Cheryl together, but I can’t help but be curious about how a Boris & Cheryl partnership might have turned out. Or who knows – maybe Boris might still be available for a future season! The little bit of hip action he showed in the segment that followed was decent enough. What do you guys think?